Thru Hike Photos

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Prep Week #6 ~ Itinerary & Gear Nearly Complete

I started "virtually hiking" the AT back in the end of December. That is, I opened my AT guidebooks, the online AT forums, fired up Google Earth, Microsoft Excel and developed my hike itinerary.  Virtual hiking has given me as much familiarity with the whole trail as I can possibly get without actually hiking. It laid out the strategy I should take with re-supply of food, water and other consumables.  It also spelled out the options for lodging and other services such as mail, medical and gear outfitters.  This took me all of 6 weeks.  If it was possible, I am even more fired up now.  I won't be publishing my itinerary publicly, but here's some highlights...

  • March 2 ~ Start at Springer Mountain, GA
  • March 12 ~ Enter N. Carolina/Tenn. (trail shares their border)
  • April 15 ~ Enter Virginia
  • June 2 ~ Enter Pennsylvania (approximate halfway point)
  • June 30 ~ Enter New England
  • August 4 ~ Enter Maine
  • September 5 ~ Finish at Mt. Katahdin Summit, ME
This itinerary is based on very inexact science.  It will without a doubt change.  Also, some of these dates will seem a bit skewed to experienced thru-hikers, but keep in mind I have a few spots along the way that I will be taking time off to satisfy some commitments.  Lastly, I am arranging to meet with some friends and family along the trail. If anyone else would like to do the same, I am more than happy to email my detailed itinerary to family & friends.  Hit me up and we'll discuss.  

TWO MORE WEEKS. <Crosses fingers and hopes Mother Nature has snowed herself out>

Nate

1 comment: