START LOCATION: Blackrock Hut
FINISH LOCATION: Pinefield Hut
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 13.2
TRIP MILEAGE: 886.3
MILES TO GO: 1,292.8
Today was a hard day, mentally and physically. I didn't bed down until
after 10 PM last night. I was completely exhausted, so I slept really
well, but I needed more. I awoke at 6:30 AM with a splitting headache.
I believe it was the result of only consuming about 700ml of water
over the final 13 miles of yesterday's trek. I was dehydrated.
Breaking camp was a slow process. I was fumbling around considering I
hadn't tented in two weeks. I finally ate at 9:15, overcame my short-
lived fear of privies and got onto the trail at 10:00AM. I went right
into a big climb. The sun was bearing down and while fully hydrated, I
still lacked energy. The whole morning was full of short breaks and
heavy breathing. I just couldn't find a rhythm.
I got about 7 miles in and reached a the full service Loft Mountain
Campground. With Memorial Day upon us, the RV's were starting to roll
in. But, I found a campsite that I could use for lunch that was near a
full restroom and the water spigot. I ate, I pounded water and I slept
and slept and slept. I spent two hours sleeping with my head down at a
picnic table. I looked miserable, but the nap was great and it gave me
enough energy to push the 6 more miles to Pinefield Hut. Oh, shelters
are called "huts" in the Shenandoahs. Apparently "shelters" are
something else like a picnic canopy or something.
Anyway, I still struggled a bit on my way to Pinefield. But I made it,
had lots of food and water and plan on being in bed before dark. I'm
here with Red Kelty, SpringKat and a new guy, Fusion. I'm sheltering
so I can maximize my sleep and get a good jump tomorrow.
-natedog

Keep going Nate! Were thinking of ya :)
ReplyDelete