Thru Hike Photos

Sunday, May 30, 2010

May 29 - Shenandoah Nat'l Park

DAY #74
START LOCATION: Bearfence Mountain Hut
FINISH LOCATION: Byrd's Nest #3 Shelter
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 22.4
TRIP MILEAGE: 929.3
MILES TO GO: 1,249.8

The shelter had a few snorers apparently. I woke up and all the
sectioners were whining about them and how they didn't get any sleep.
I heard it a little bit, but I passed out cold all night the minute I
zipped up the sleeping bag.

Everyone was real ambitious getting out of the shelter again. I awoke
to stirring and glanced at my watch... 5:45AM. Forget that. I zonked
back out til 6:30. I got out of the Bearfence close to 8AM. I had a
similar day to yesterday... About 7 miles in, get some food. Instead
of trail magic it was a Shenandoah NP Wayside... Burgers, convenience
store and blackberry shakes we kept hearing about. These 7 miles were
fast. Weather was nice and I zipped right along. I saw Menno and
Mexico and they were trying to push for the Byrds nest with a stop at
the wayside as well. I also saw a bunch of deer and had some very good
chances to see a bear, but to no avail.

I arrived at the Big Meadows Wayside at about 10:30. Mimi, Fusion,
Rock Steady, Sam, Wayfarer, Johnny Utah and a few others were either
there or rolling in after me. Danny and Sandy, my new friends from the
trail magic party were there too. I gorged on food... Grape soda, M&M
Ice cream sandwich, cheeseburger, fries, mountain dew and of course a
blackberry milkshake. It was ok, but it wouldn't bring all the boys to
the yard.

Menno and Mexico missed the turnoff to hit the wayside, so i think
they pushed on. But Sam and Mimi were talking like they would be
pushing for the Byrds Nest, so we decided we'd hike together. But,
they had loose ends to tie and it was getting late so I decided to
push on solo.

As I was headed back to the trail there were a bunch if weekenders on
the road stopped in their cars and getting out to take pictures of
something in the woods. It looked just like when we'd go moosing in
Maine... Tourists standing way too close trying to get a perfect
picture while sorely underestimating the creature's power and
behavior. My instinct was right... A bear and a cub in the side of the
road. I walked past (on the opposite side of the road) and took a few
pics. They didn't come out fantastic, but you can make them out. It
was pretty cool. But, I had 15 more miles ahead of me and it was
already 1:30PM.

I pushed along through endless National Park tourist traps...
Overlooks, campgrounds, picnic areas, nature trails, horseback riding
stables and more Skyline Drive crossings. The park is only a few miles
wide, but 105 miles long. So the AT and all the other park sights are
all on top of each other. It's all good though... The varied scenery
and people watching is really a nice change of pace.

I stopped at 20 miles and filled up my water at a picnic area. My book
showed there was no water at the Byrds Nest Shelter, so i decided to
haul some in. It was 6:45 PM and I looked out westward. There was a
huge thunderhead approaching. I actually got some cool pictures of it
with the sunset backdrop. But, I had to haul ass... And did I ever. I
got to a nearly empty shelter at 7:30, about 30 minutes before the
rains came. I had just enough time to eat... Perfect. A local buck and
doe caroused about the shelter as I ate. They were nice company since
the other two shelterers were all but asleep.

Listening to some snoring, some thunder and some mice run around the
shelter as I blog. I have a very quick 3 mile jaunt into Thornton Gap
tomorrow morning. This is where I will be meeting Smokestack as he
makes his reprise to AT. I'm looking forward to having him back. The
trails been far too peaceful and it'll be fun to raise some heck with
him again.

-natedog

3 comments:

  1. You seem awfully sure that you weren't one of the snorers! (I've heard you.) Good instinct on the bear, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Smokestack and Panda! So happy for you! Ash and Shawn are making Sir Francis, Tuck and I breakfast on the lake while I read them your whereabouts "But, ..." ;p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome to read where you are along the Shenandoah- as I have been to several of the places you have named :) ~Christen

    ReplyDelete