Thru Hike Photos

Monday, May 31, 2010

May 30 - Shenandoah Nat'l Park

DAY #75
START LOCATION: Byrd's Nest #3 Shelter
FINISH LOCATION: Gravel Spring Hut
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 17.5
TRIP MILEAGE: 946.8
MILES TO GO: 1,232.3

I slept in til 7:45 at the Byrds Nest this morning. I was meeting
Panda and Smokestack at Thornton Gap at 10:00AM and I had a nice easy
3 miles almost all downhill to get there. It was great to take my time
getting ready. With only 3 of us in an 8 person shelter, it was also
nice to spread out too.

I was just about to shove off at 8:45 when Menno and Mexico rolled
into the shelter. They had camped out a half mile south expecting the
shelter to be full. I hiked with them the 3 miles down to the gap and
we discussed politics all the way down. Weird for me.

I spent about 5 minutes waiting at Thornton when I see Smokestack come
running up the parking lot all smiles. We did out man hello and we had
to run down to where Panda was parked. She was all smiles too... It
was great to see them again. They were still 2 hours from checking out
of their hotel in nearby Luray, VA. They were going to let me shower
and join them in their resupply run. As I hopped in the car, they had
a surprise for me... Hardees breakfast combo with what else... A large
Cherry Coke. I was thrilled. It was perfect trail magic... Good
friends and high calorie food.

I dried out some stuff in the motel parking lot. Then I showered, did
a tick check and we headed off to resupply at the Dollar General and
the grocery store. We didn't need much, as it was only 30 miles to
Front Royal, VA where we'd be able to resupply again. I gorged on an
ice cream sandwich, doritos and a Gatorade. I finished them all in
about 10 minutes.

After a stop to take pictures with Yogi bear, (don't ask) we were back
at Thornton by 12:30. As Smokestack filled his foodbag, Panda noticed
that I'd lost a nose pad off my glasses. I had done it about a week
ago. She says... I can give you an extra pad off my old glasses and I
have an eyeglass repair kit to fix it! She's my hero. I was able to
replace the pad and get the spare off her old glasses of they break
again. Again... She rocks.

We said our goodbyes and hit the trail by 1PM. It was hit and Smoke
was feeling it. It took a few miles for him to knock the rust off, but
he was rolling along in no time. We stopped at the Elkwallow Wayside
after 8 miles to give him a taste of Shenandoah commercialism. As we
reached the wayside, there was a note on a tree in pink paper... Panda
drove ahead and left Smoke a message. Classic! Did I mention she
rocks. The place was mobbed with weekenders, bikers and a few
hikers... Menno, Mexico, Fusion and ourselves to name the most. I had
ice cream, a chocolate milk and two sodas while I was there. It was
glorious. I can't remember what Smoke had because I was too wrapped up
in my own.

Finally at 5:45PM we decided we should head out. That 5.5 miles would
put us at the shelter before 8. After a big climb out of Elkwallow, we
cruised fast to the shelter. Just before we arrived, sure enough,
another note on pink paper... Panda was at it again. This time she
left trail magic... Lollipops and a bag full of bug repellent wipes
and feminine hygiene unmentionables. I died laughing. We only took the
lollipops.

The shelter was packed. I'm camping near the entrance trail and
Smokestack is 200 yds away in a hammock tent city. All is right with
the world.

In an inspiring yet mildly creepy tribute, Smokestack is carrying with
him a small vial of his grandfather Frank's ashes. Frank's spirit
lives on in Smokestack and he will now be with him every step of his
thru hike... Literally. Before you jump all over me for my
insensitivity, let it be known that Smokestack believes that death and
laughter are a part of life. He knows Frank is in a much better,
happier place and is laughing right along with us.

-natedog

1 comment:

  1. I love that Tiff was able to pull off the magic, with love and a bit of humor; she does rock! And that Brian has his grandfather with him... you, insensitive? NOT. even. close.
    So, do you recall saving my sight, literally, in D.C. via good instincts with contacts? Look at the good getting passed forward to you, Nate! Can't wait to hear about Yogi bear! (and Panda, great looking out with all the "tick-checking!") Sounds like a well deserved, overly-fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete