START LOCATION: Gravel Spring Hut
FINISH LOCATION: Compton Gap Trail/Terrapin Station Hostel
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 9.6
TRIP MILEAGE: 956.4
MILES TO GO: 1,222.7
I had trouble getting out of the tent this morning. I wanted to lay
there all day. But I finally got going at 7:15 when Smokestack
pretended to be a bear outside my tent.
We ended up being the last ones out of camp around 8:45. Typical. It
was humid as we hit the trail and it really sapped our energy, but the
terrain was very smooth so we had that going for us. We stopped around
11:15 at a spring and ate lunch and recharge our batteries.
Just before we left I glanced at my book to see the directions to the
hostel. I suddenly realized what I thought was a 7 mile hike to the
hostel was actually a 3 mile hike. This was not a big deal, but this
kind of error could have resulted in us missing a turn and having to
backtrack. I shook it off as we continued hiking.
About 2 miles before the trailhead to the hostel, the skies opened
up... Torrential downpour. It felt good. I had my packa on, but I left
it half on me and I let myself get soaked. Being 2.5 miles from a warm
house and laundry machines affords a hiker that luxury.
We arrived to an all but empty house. Two hikers, Royce and Stambler
were here. Royce gave us the rundown as Mike, the owner was out until
7:30. Smoke and I have a knack for hitting up understaffed hostels
(See Apr 17). But, this time we stayed. We dried out our stuff in the
yard, we did laundry and we ate some food the hostel had in stock.
As the afternoon pushed on, the place filled up... Sam, Red Kelty and
Mimi to name a few. But the most impressive hikers to come rolling in
were Devo and Zen, a young couple from MA. I first met Devo the same
day I met Smokestack on Apr 10. He was with their dog Loki. I last saw
them 500 miles ago in Damascus just as we were entering Virginia. Loki
is taking a break as the trail was wearing him out... I can sympathize.
I heard from my good friend Scruffy today. He has some personal
commitments that he is making for the summer but will be hopping back
on the trail later this summer. He will be doing what's called a flip-
flop hike. He will start in Katahdin in August and work southbound
until he reaches Damascus. This will complete his thru-hike. I am so
happy that he's getting back on, and I'm very excited for the day I
pass him on the trail as I'm heading north. That will be a fun reunion.
I saw some sobering statistics from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy
this afternoon... In 2008, 1,250 people started a thru-hike. By the
time they reached Harpers Ferry, just 60 miles north of where I am
now, there were only 667 thru hikers still on the trail. Of those 667,
only 337 made it to Katahdin. It is tough to imagine that the stats
say that half of the people in this hostel will not make to Katahdin.i
already know of one in this hostel that is getting off due to
insufficient funds. Everyone wants it so badly and it's sad to think
some won't make it, even coming this far. Whats good is that stats
don't really mean much when it comes down to the individual and their
drive. If someone wants it, they will go and get it. That's what
Smokestack and Scruffy are doing... Life takes them off the trail for
reasons more meaningful and lasting than the hike... Family. But they
stand up, take care of their family and find a way to get back on and
fulfill their dream.
I'm looking forward to resupplying tomorrow morning and making the
relaxed push to Harpers Ferry where I will be meeting my cousins.
It'll also be sweet to boost the ATC's success rate statistics.
-natedog

No comments:
Post a Comment