START LOCATION: Moreland Gap Shelter
FINISH LOCATION: Pine Tree Spring/ Laurel Fork River Campsite
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 8.7
TRIP MILEAGE: 415.5
MILES TO GO: 1,763.6
The rains came later than expected, at 6AM. It poured. Yet Smokestack
didn't miss a beat. He was getting packed up before 8AM. I was
inspired. We rolled out by 9:15AM donning our raingear, but within a
half-hour the sun peeked through. The 6 miles down to Dennis Cove Road
were bit steep and occasionally technical, but not to bad. We got to
the road by 11:45. We had dreams of a town shuttle with a big lunch,
ice cream and beer. We rolled into the A.T.-famous Kincora Hostel to
find out the owner, Bob Peoples, was out for the day for personal
reasons. No shuttle, no town visit possibly until tomorrow. Don't get
me wrong... This hostel is magical. Bob is one of the trail greats, a
trail maintainer and a hostel owner that he runs on donations only.
It's not a business. Anyway, we just wanted to eat. So, after a couple
hours Smokestack suggested we push the 3 miles north on the AT to the
US-321 intersection and go into town ourselves.
At 2:45, we waved goodbye go the mass of hikers rolling in and
crowding the bunkhouse. What a great decision. We had beautiful
weather and the most gorgeous waterfall I've seen on the trail yet...
Laurel Fork Falls. A one mile blue blaze trail led us to Hampton where
we gorged on delicious pork BBQ from Hillbilly Bob's. We got re-supply
at Brown's Supermarket and Hardware Store and the icing on the cake...
As we approached the blue blaze to bead back to camp we found a former
bar that had burnt down and was being reconstructed. The owner had
bought a shipping container and converted it into a miniature bar. He
was serving beer out of it until the construction was complete...
Scheduled for mid-May. So Smokestack and I ducked in, had a few beers
and mixed it up with the locals. We even got some roadies for the
campsite. We think all those hostellers might still be sitting there
while they wait for their ride. But Smokestack and I? We made our own
destiny happen.
We had to night hike a short ways into a great little campsite along
the Laurel Fork River. We built a fire, enjoyed our roadies and talked
trail, life and trail life. Just a great day. I liked Hampton better
as a trail town than Hot Springs. There I said it.
We are now fully resupplied and ready for our 3+ day hike into
Damascus, VA... Yes.. Virginia! We are so excited... Smokestack
especially. He will be reuniting with his wife, trail name Panda, to
continue their thru hike together as a team. I'm excited to meet her
again and I know Smokestack is ecstatic to have her rejoin him and
share in the adventure.
The river is lulling me to sleep tonight under perfect tent-sleeping
conditions.. Upper 30's temps, dry air and clear skies. We are living
the dream.
-natedog

No comments:
Post a Comment