START LOCATION: US11/VA683/Atkins, VA
FINISH LOCATION: Random Campsite By A Stream
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 14.1
TRIP MILEAGE: 552.9 (1/4 complete)
MILES TO GO: 1,626.2
I haven't slept in a bed since Easter morning... 3 1/2 weeks ago. If
you count a crib as a bed, I'm quite sure that is the longest bed-free
stretch of my life. When I climbed in, it was as soft and comfortable
as I remember. I didn't milk it though. I was up around 7:30 and
enjoyed a long pre-hike shower. It was in the low 40s when we opened
up the door around 8. But, the only clouds left were cirrus and the
sun was brilliant.
Packed up and had breakfast at the Exit 54 Exxon Station Restaurant.
Do not let the name fool you. Karen, the owner/cook is fantastic at
her craft and could be considered a trail magician. Here' why... The
night before, my dinner cook said the potato soup I'd enjoyed was made
by Karen. It was fantastic. So, this morning, when I realized it was
her running the kitchen, I complimented her up and down on the soup.
Well, I then ordered the Chicken Fried Steak breakfast sandwich. Egg,
cheese and the namesake on wheat toast. To die for. I call her a trail
magician because she not only threw in a gratis potato cake on the
side, but also doubled the C.F. Steak for free as well. We thanked her
again and asked why she was so generous. She then related a story of a
thru hiker the day before who came in and asked... "Could I get the
four dollar ice cream sundae half price?" Karen looked at her and said
"Why half price?" Her response, "Well, I've eaten here a couple times
already". Smokestack and I just looked at each other like, who does
that?? Anyway, Karen just looked at her and smiled and said the sundae
is $4. She said her generosity to us was because Smokestack and I were
so pleasant to have as customers. She said "Treat me nice and I'll
give and give. Act entitled and you'll only get what I owe you." We
talked some more about her expanding her business for hikers and asked
our thoughts. She was so pleasant, Smokestack and I vowed to talk her
up on whiteblaze.net and leave a few shelter register comments about
her establishment. So, I'll do my part here... If you are ever
traveling Interstate I-81, stop at the Exit 54 Exxon Station in Rural
Retreat, VA and have some amazing breakfast, lunch or dinner served by
one of the best cooks on the AT.
Once again, fat and happy we headed off. The trail passed under I-81
and we entered a short-lived but beautiful grassy pasture. It then
entered the woods for about seven easy, but otherwise forgettable
miles. Well, the last five miles... Wow. I've decided that today was
my favorite day yet for scenery. We emerged from the forest and
entered a long 40' wide tree lined easement between two farms. It was
an AT corridor. Outside the trees and barbed wire fences that formed
the corridor were vast emerald green grass fields. When I say emerald,
I cannot remember in my lifetime a more lush and brilliant green
displayed by nature outside my visits to Hawaii. The fields were
rolling and seemingly endless. What made it more gorgeous was the
perfect blue sky backdrop and sparse cotton-white clouds. Thank god
for digital cameras, because I would have burned through 3 rolls of
film over those last few miles.
I caught Diesel, Sheryl, Thrasher, Turkey, Dark Star Meatstick and
Smokestack near a road crossing where some trail magic was left by
2009 thru hiker Lumbermack. I grabbed a cold soda to enjoy with dinner
and the others grabbed a few other goodies. Trail magic is always
great... But especially near the end of the day.
Got to Knot Maul shelter and we weren't impressed. Not to mention, we
were all in agreement that tenting was in order with how little we've
been able to with all the recent rain. The guidebooks hinted at
camping a quarter mile down. Thrasher scouted, came back and gave us
the thumbs up. We all left the shelter and headed down! A couple other
guys came in too and so there's 10 of us at this little stream side
nameless campsite. It's nice to be back in the tent... Especially with
temps dipping down into the 30s tonight. Much warmer in here than the
shelter. I will sleep heavily I'm sure.
Lastly, today was special because we passed the quarter point of the
AT... 545 miles. Pretty happy about that, but there's a lot more to be
done... Headed to bed so I can get started on it.
-natedog

No comments:
Post a Comment