START LOCATION: Damascus, VA
FINISH LOCATION: Saunders Shelter
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 9.4
TRIP MILEAGE: 472.9
MILES TO GO: 1,706.2
Had my double hostel bunkroom to my self last night, which was
surprising given how many hikers were around town. I showered, which
was heaven and made my way to the coffee shop around 8:15AM. I had a
breakfast engagement with Smokestack, Panda and Pat (momma Panda) at 9
so I got a round of joes for the Jersey peeps. I got to the cabin and
Panda was getting a pack shakedown from Smokestack. I think Smoke sent
more stuff home than Panda did. Her pack weight was stellar... Right
around 20 lbs. His a little bit more. They are traveling nice and
light. Had breakfast at "In The Country" a little diner/gift shop on
the outskirts of town. It was pretty good. Had a nice S.E.C. Croissant.
Rolled back into town resupply. The Dollar General was more than
adequate. Double Stack and I shook down our foodstuffs and horsetraded
a few items. I even found a new fuel canister left in the hiker box! A
huge score considering I needed a backup.
Scruffy waited patiently for his wife who was trying to arrive by
noon. She was driving to Damascus to pick him up and head back to
Tennessee for a few days. She ran late so I had to leave Scruffs a
note telling him I had to leave. I was hoping to meet his wife, but as
my note read, I'll just have to come down to Tennessee to meet her and
stay on his farm! Ha. I hope she made it safely and I see Scruffy
again soon... I'm so glad I got to spend some time with him in
Damascus and catch up.
Great news from Double Stack! They planned on staying an extra zero in
Damascus, but when word of rain the next day hit the forecast, they
decided they'd take advantage of the sun and roll out today. I was
really glad. It would be nice to spend another evening with them
together before I start pushing on.
Great time during my Nero out of Damascus. Saw Devo, Zen, their dog
Loki and a huge blast from the early days... Saguaro! I met him on the
approach trail on Day 1! Last time I'd seen him was Hiawassee. Also
met the other hiker named Boston and a few other folks... Carson,
Barnabus, Tumbleweed, Scruggs and Corny. Take a zero and you always
meet new faces.
We headed up to the trail around 2PM. All we needed was to hit the
first shelter, so I knew we'd be able to take it easy heading up
there. I moved ahead as Panda got her trail legs back and Smokestack
accompanied her.
Some big climbs today... A 1,200 footer and a 1,500 footer made for
some good break-in period after my zero. The terrain was ok and
weather was nice to hike in... Cool, some clouds and nice breezes.
Got to the Saunders Shelter to find Boston (from New Hampshire) the
only occupant. I set up camp inside got water and made a big rice
dinner. Just as I started eating Double Stack rolled in with great
news... Panda saw a bear cub off in a tree! Her first day back and she
spots a bear! I'm really excited for her. She's a trooper coming back
out after her tough start and Smoke is happy to have her back. They're
really fun peeps and had a nice evening chatting it up with them. I
hope I get to spend some more time with them. Smoke wants to nail down
a 16 tomorrow, but with rain, some big climbs and the fact they are a
team again means there might be a compromise. We will see...
-natedog

No comments:
Post a Comment