Thru Hike Photos

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Apr 23 - Southern Virginia

DAY #44
START LOCATION: Saunders Shelter
FINISH LOCATION: Thomas Knob Shelter
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 18.4
TRIP MILEAGE: 491.3
MILES TO GO: 1,687.8

Slept fantastic last night at the Saunders. Panda said Smokestack and
I were conversing in snore most of the night. Up at 6:30... there was
a break in the rain and probably got my blog post out earlier than any
day yet. It was a good thing... The rains returned by 7. Smokestack
and I were up first and Panda, still getting back on the celestial
sleep schedule, was up juuust a little while afterward.

Most of us were thinking of pushing to Thomas Knob Shelter, but Double
Stack thought they might lay up shy of the TKS. So, Boston rolled out
first and I followed soon after. Pretty easy morning even with the
rain, which wasn't too bad. Part of the trail followed the Virginia
Creeper Trail, a long bike path which is a converted railroad bed.
Well, rail trail only means one thing... Flat. Man, that half mile the
AT shares with the Creeper was fantastic. I could get used to it.

Had lunch at Lost Mountain Shelter with Boston initially. Then the
Double Stack rolled in a few minutes later. We had a few laughs and
watched the rain clear out. Panda is really being careful with her
mileage, and rightfully so. As a result, she thought we should say our
goodbyes before we all headed out. I said told her there aren't hiker
goodbyes, because we always manage to catch up and see each other. I
hope that is the case with those two. Smokestack has been a great
hiking buddy and become a good friend. Panda has been an absolute
pleasure in the short few days we've hung out. Anyway, it was a little
bit of a bummer knowing I might not see them for quite awhile, but the
friendships last and there's lots of other great folks to see up
ahead. So I pushed on.

The hike out of Lost Mtn Shelter was tough... It climbed from 3,100'
to 5,400' elevation. There was a few grassy balds and mostly wooded
with rocky terrain. As I approached Whitetop peak, the clouds cleared
out and gave way to glorious sunshine. The sunny weather was not
expected, but absolutely welcomed. It was in the lower 60's all day

Rolled into Thomas Knob Shelter at 6:30PM. The shelter is a large two
decker. It sits atop a ridge and overlooks a sweeping valley. There's
a rumor that feral ponies roam these highlands. A few of the folks
here saw some on the balds today. I'll probably see a few tomorrow as
I enter Grayson Highlands State Park. They are reportedly everywhere
up there.

Anyway, pretty full house here... Two section hikers, Moonpie, Little
Brown, Scruggs, Corny, Boston and two of my faves... Diesel and Sheryl
from Amesbury. Always enjoy spending time with them.

Chilly night up here above 5,000' but won't have more of these left,
as May is a week away and we are now less than 1,700 miles to go!

-natedog

No comments:

Post a Comment