Thru Hike Photos

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Apr 21 - Virginia / Zero Day #8

ZERO DAY #8
LOCATION: Damascus, VA
TRIP MILEAGE: 463.5
MILES TO GO: 1,715.6

Pouring rain out this morning. So Dana the cyclist, Smokestack and I
headed on over to Mojoe's coffee shop to wake ourselves up. Had a
great time chatting it up with the locals.

Smokestack and I headed back to the hostel, and let the rain pass. I
took a glorious shower. Dana geared up and continued on her adventure.
Then... The skies cleared around noon. My whole slew of errands
commenced. First, the laundry. Best laundromat on the trail yet. In
one hour fifteen minutes my clothes were clean and dry and stains that
had been on clothes for weeks finally came out. I felt like a new man.

Next, I decided to take off my skirt and spring for my summer sleeping
bag I've been eyeing... The Lafuma X600. It's a 45 degree water
repellent synthetic bag. It's 1lb 4oz, almost a pound lighter than my
15 degree down bag. Cereal, from Sundog outfitters was a big help. The
bummer is... I went straight to the post office and bounced the
sleeping bag to Pearisburg, VA. Reason being, I need my down bag a few
more weeks as I cross over Mt Rogers. It will be cold. I love my down
bag, but I can't wait to ditch it for the lighter Lafuma.

Next... The damn beard. The barber shop was closed Wednesdays, so I
stopped into Eula's Hair Design. Eula was perming a lady's hair and a
couple of her friends were sitting and chatting it up when I arrived.
I asked... "Hi, can you make my beard disappear?" and she replied in
her southern accent... "Darlin, I could make you disappear if you'd
like." Ha... I found the right place. I asked if I should come back
when she was done with her customer and she said... "Sweetie, grab
those clippers and go to town!" Awesome. She gave me the haircut smock
thingy and I, well, went to town. As I hacked through the weeds, the
ladies debated whether I looked better with the beard on or off. As I
wrapped up, I turned around and flashed them a smile... "Oh yeah
honey! Much better without the beard! You look 20 years younger!" I'm
like.. "You're saying I look 13?". We all had a good laugh, and I
asked how much.. She said you're a sweetheart, it's on the house. She
even said I could get a discounted haircut if I came back for Trail
Days... (The largest thru-hiker festival on the AT, May 14-16) but I
won't be making it. So she gave me a hug wished me the best and I was
on my way... Awesome people in this town.

Hit the library and couldn't upload my photos... My SD card reader is
fried. So, I have a new one coming in Pearisburg. I might need a zero
to catch up with the pics. Be patient folks!

Met up with Smokestack, his wife Panda and her Mom... All from Jesrsey
and all a complete riot... Such a great time spent with them in the
afternoon. They were all so happy to be reunited as Panda will be
starting "take 2" of her thru hike with Smokestack. At Smokestack's
suggestion I will now be referring to them as Double Stack... Perfect.
We had a couple beers at Quincey's and rolled over to their amazing
rental cabin. They brought giant Jersey pizzas that were less than 24
hours old. Delicious flat style pizza that brougt me right back to the
North End when I sank my teeth into it... Heaven. Also met Bama's
granddad South Mark. Nice guy from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Lots of fun
all around as Scruffy, Bama, South Mark, Turkey and Thrasher joined us
on the patio.

Damascus is fantastic. Great people, great services and the place has
definitely lived up to it's reputation as the Friendliest Trail Town.
Bummer that I have to leave tomorrow, but looking forward to the
adventure and people ahead.

-natedog

No comments:

Post a Comment